|(c) 2014 P.Lynne Designs- Reality Just got real.|
Today is a rant of sorts. No, I am not going to start screaming to the highest heavens to God Almighty to snap His fingers and instantly turn my half-beaten, catch-all room called my potential scrapbook room, into something that would make Martha Steward stand up and leap for joy in pointe shoes. (Oh the horror and the visual.) Nope, I am not going to do that (besides that, I do not want to be banned from heaven, my room is not THAT serious). What is serious is doing it myself, and having Martha do that death defying leap on pointe shoes. (On second thought, Martha, don’t try it.)
OK, I am serious now.
I want to know, if you are like me, you’d want to walk into your home and have it showroom ready to receive company, with your immaculate table that has room for 5 on a cozy day party, but able to seat 20 (with a 4 leaves in), children play peacefully, and the adults able to have a real adult conversation without screaming at a child. Finally, at the end of the day, with everything picked up, the kids in bed, you are able to sit up to read in your 4-posted, mattress covered, fitted sheet, flat sheet, 1 blanket, 1 comforter, 1 coverlet, covered bed (fresh sheets please), and fall into a slumber that only Hollywood movies are made of. Do you feel like that?
Yeah, I thought so. Instead your home is more like an invasion of the worst kind. Toys, shoes, last week’s mail not put away, having company is nil, and if you have company, you cleared just enough room for them to sit. That table I mention before, it is covered from head to toe with everything from your office at work, office at home, a bill that needed to be paid 3 months ago, only for you to remember why you no longer can get a free audiobook each month, and a plate that needed to be washed 2 days ago.
My rant goes beyond that rant. It may not be your home that is out of tune, it may be your time. So much of your time, includes time wasters. It is amazing how little we get done when we are waiting in line at the bank (both inside, drive-though, and the ATM), a fast food place, even at a place like Disney World. Then there are the waiting rooms for the doctor (you, your child, your parent, or your spouse/partner), your car, or the vet (Fluffy, Fido, or a turtle or two). Cars can also become waiting rooms, such as waiting on a child to get out of school, or some type of practice or rehearsal (dance, music, drama, or sports); also waiting on a non-driver or a person who is no longer able to drive for any reason.
Now I am not saying that waiting is a bad thing, for waiting can be a good thing as well. (Do the following only if your budget allows it). If you do it right, you can actually get some work done, if you are a SAHMOD (Stay at Home Mom or Dad), or if you choose to have a home business like me.
- Invest in paying your bills online. It is easy to set up with your bank or the company you are paying the bills to. Just remember, any bill that you set up to automatically come out of your checking or saving account is already gone for the month, so adjust your spending that way. In fact, now is the time for you to set up a budget table for the year. You can also go online manually to pay your bills. In other words, go paperless. That company will send you a reminder that the bill is due through the email that you set up with them.
- Invest in a hot spot for your laptop or tablet. You can use your smartphone or if you do not have one, or choose not to use it, buy a separate hub for the hot spot. The carrier I use prefers that I have a separate account from my phone, but in a pinch, I can use my smart phone.
- Carry a portable charger with you, especially if you are using your phone. The more you use your phone without having it on a charger, the faster the battery goes down.
- Traveling is also wasted time. Make sure on long trips that if you have a deadline during that time to bring your work, especially if you are not the one doing the driving. If it something you need to do, while driving, place the device on hand-free mode or have a software like Dragon natural speak to text app on your device. If all else fails, wait until you get to your destination before working. Your life and others around you is worth more than your work.
- Please do not text and drive. In fact, some states and countries do not allow call and drive either (holding the phone in your hand). Check with your state and country about laws on hands free devices for your phone.
Well, that is my Frantic Friday for this week. Being able to keep everything organized from your home and your time is not going to be easy, but in time, it will become easier for you and your family, and you will have a routine that will makes Martha Steward leap for joy in pointe shoes. (What is about me picturing Martha Steward in pointe shoes today, LOL?)